Feedipedia: An on-line encyclopedia of animal feeds
Feedipedia is an open access information system on animal feed resources that provides information on nature, occurrence, chemical composition, nutritional value and safe use of nearly 1400 worldwide livestock feeds. It is managed jointly by INRA, CIRAD, AFZ and FAO.
The main objective of Feedipedia is to provide extension and development workers, planners, project formulators, livestock farmers, science managers, policy makers, students and researchers with the latest scientific information to help them identify, characterize and properly use feed resources to sustainably develop the livestock sector.
This is particularly important in emerging and developing countries where feed resources available locally are often under-utilized due to lack of information. Providing global knowledge on feed resources, including unconventional and lesser known ones, contributes to the development and use of innovative and appropriate feeding options and strategies.
Feeds datasheets contain the following information:
- Feed names, including vernacular and scientific names
- Description of the plants or plant parts/products used as feed
- Feeding recommendations for the main livestock species: cattle, sheep, goats, camels, poultry, pigs, rabbits, horses, fish and crustaceans
- Tables of composition and nutritive value
- Illustrations, including photos and processing charts
- Distribution and basic agronomic information
- Forage management
- Processes for improving nutritional value
- Potential constraints such as presence of anti-nutritional and toxic factors
- Environmental impact of the production and use of feeds
|Jatropha: a small-holder bioenergy crop; The Potential for Pro-Poor Development - Brittaine et al., 2010. Integrated Crop Management n°8. IFAD / FAO|
This publication presents a compilation of information on key practical issues affecting jatropha for pro-poor development.
|A global assessment of sustainability Biofuels and sustainability challenge : issues, trends and policies for biofuels and related feedstocks - Elbehri et al., 2013. FAO, Rome, Italy|
This book is a complete study that attempts to integrate into a single report the major issues related to biofuel and related feedstock sustainability.
|Dairy Production, Quality Control and Marketing System in SAARC Countries - Pal et al., 2011. SAARC Agriculture Centre|
This report reviews the existing dairy production system in the SAARC (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka) countries; it compares the dairy diversity among the member countries; identifies the strength and weaknesses of the scenario and recommends measures for improving the existing production system in individual member countries to address the need of 21st century.