Animal feed resources information system

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is it valuable to you? Feedipedia is encountering funding shortage. We need your help to keep providing reference-based feeding recommendations for your animals.
Would you consider donating? If yes, please click on the button Donate.

Any amount is the welcome. Even one cent is helpful to us!

Komwihangilo et al., 2001. Livest. Res. Rural Dev., 13 (6):

Document reference 
Komwihangilo, D. M. ; Sendalo, D. S. C. ; Lekule, F. P. ; Mtenga, L. A. ; Temu, V. K., 2001. Farmers' knowledge in the utilisation of indigenous browse species for feeding of goats in semi arid central Tanzania. Livest. Res. Rural Dev., 13 (6):

Studies with a farming systems perspective in view were conducted in agro-pastoral areas of semi-arid central Tanzania to investigate feeding values of indigenous browse species as described by goat keepers based on their accumulated knowledge. A significant difference was observed between men and women respondents in relation to the number of trees each gender identified. Seventy-seven percent of male respondents (N = 81) were found to know 11 to 20 tree and shrub species as compared to 44% of female respondents (N = 18) for this range of trees. On the other hand, 56% of female respondents could identify 5 to 10 species compared to 18% for male in this range of trees. However, the number of trees known by respondents was not significantly associated with age of respondents.  Fast stomach fill, palatability and promoting growth for kids were some of the most prominent qualities or “advantages” of trees and shrubs. Response of fast stomach fill as observed in trees / shrubs such as Ecborium spp, Faitherbia albida, Allophylus africana  and Commifora africana were 78, 72, 63 and 57%, respectively.  It was found that less prominent qualities or “disadvantages” included more water intake of animals after feeding and physical characteristics of faeces. Ninety two percent of respondents noted that Dichrostachys cinerea would make animals thirsty. Moreover, it was reported that goats have hard faeces when they eat most of the trees producing pods like Acacia tortilis (64% of respondents) Acacia senegal (57%) and Faitherbia albida (33%). Further studies are still needed for profitable utilization of diverse forage materials.

Citation key 
Komwihangilo et al., 2001